Skip to main content
shameless

The following acquisitions exceed the requirements for thriftiness. Everything in this post was free. I'm shameless.

I participate in my local freecycle, both giving and receiving items. (Check the website for your local network. You need a Yahoo! account to participate.) Lately I've been receiving more than I've been giving but I have given a lot in the past. Two weeks ago we picked up this happy little setup:


It came with six hermit crabs and their sundry accoutrement. Here's a group photo, featuring (from left to right) Xander, Grover, Obi-Wan, Mr. Crabs (large yellow/orange shell in the back), Weenie (Obi-Wan's best bud), and Clone.

Grover and Obi-Wan are by far the most active. Xander comes out on occasion, but the others are more reclusive. They've visited the preschool twice already. And once Jack and I built a block maze for them.


Grover makes a break for it.


I've been crafting a bit lately, with a particular obsession for collage and assemblage, especially shrines and altars. These 18 cigar boxes I picked up from a man across town are begging to be gussied up.



Like I said, I'm shameless. I didn't get these steely Revolutionaries at a thrift store. I didn't get them through freecycle. I dug them out of a dumpster. I was so thrilled to find them I'm not even embarrassed by their origins.


Lord Percival here came out of the same dumpster. A different revolution, perhaps? I like to imagine him speaking in an exagerated English accent: "My dear fellow, how do you enjoy the weather this day? Shall we have crumpets and cucumber finger sandwiches at tea time? One lump or two?" Jack said, "Is that a girl?" When I told him no, Lord Percival is a man, Jack laughed with delight and said, "That's funny! He's a girl AND a man." Which reminded me of so many things, not the least of which is the striking resemblance Lord Percival bears to my paternal grandmother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

in which I get knocked down

Sickness saps my energy, both physical and mental. It's surprising, really, how seldom I get sick, since I work in a petri dish. When I do get sick it lays me low and happenings that I might normally take in stride just completely knock me down. Last week I was diagnosed with an embarrassing viral infection, the symptoms of which on their own couldn't possibly have dragged me this deep down: sores in my mouth and throat that blistered and peeled and made every mouthful feel and taste like shredded pennies; an itchy rash around my mouth and nose and on my chest. Compounding that: knees that felt packed in hot wax, the backs of my eyeballs aflame. No fever, so no H1N1. Negative strep. Malaise. But I soldiered (martyred?) through most of the week at work, because I could, and some of the other teachers had to stay at home with their diverticulitis and kidney stones. On Thursday night my laptop died. On Friday night I felt I could deal with my weekend obligations. DH went out of t...