Skip to main content

then and now

that was then


this is now


These boys are birthday buddies, born on the same day. On the right is my little man Jack, on the left is my friend Doreen's little man Xander. Doreen and I were friends in middle school, way back in 1985. In 1986 my family moved away from Tucson to a small town in central Illinois. Doreen and I kept up a detailed correspondence for a year or two, then we lost track of each other as more immediate high school concerns took precedence. But we hooked up again when I moved back to Tucson in 1999. We rediscovered our friendship, had babies at the same time, drifted apart again, and now it looks like our paths are converging once more. Or she might be so disappointed that my Jack taught her Xander how to armpit fart that she'll never contact me again.

Just for fun, here's pictures of the two of us with our babies when they were just a month old. Do I look terrified or what?



Comments

Cute pix. We were just discussing armpit farts at our last get together. We're a refined lot.

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

in which I get knocked down

Sickness saps my energy, both physical and mental. It's surprising, really, how seldom I get sick, since I work in a petri dish. When I do get sick it lays me low and happenings that I might normally take in stride just completely knock me down. Last week I was diagnosed with an embarrassing viral infection, the symptoms of which on their own couldn't possibly have dragged me this deep down: sores in my mouth and throat that blistered and peeled and made every mouthful feel and taste like shredded pennies; an itchy rash around my mouth and nose and on my chest. Compounding that: knees that felt packed in hot wax, the backs of my eyeballs aflame. No fever, so no H1N1. Negative strep. Malaise. But I soldiered (martyred?) through most of the week at work, because I could, and some of the other teachers had to stay at home with their diverticulitis and kidney stones. On Thursday night my laptop died. On Friday night I felt I could deal with my weekend obligations. DH went out of t...