Skip to main content

lately I've been thinking

there's something lacking in the nature of my posts. Something personal is missing. I read some very reflective blogs by writers gifted in expressing themselves and although I consider myself an introspective person that element is missing from my posts. I've always thought myself a writer but for the last 13 years I've had difficulty writing about anything that matters, as if I fear revealing too much, or laying myself too bare, or writing something I can't defend or retract. And there's little use in making a public proclamation here, something along the lines of, "I, shy_smiley, do hereby resolve to write one provocative blog post a day." In the words of YM, my old boss, "It is what it is."

One of the Thinking Bloggers I read is kirbanita at Take Joy! She recently posted The Name Game tag and invited anyone interested to play along. I found it difficult to resist. Here are the rules:

  1. Go to http://www.google.com/
  2. Click on Google images
  3. Type in your name and search
  4. Repost the picture of the oddest, craziest, strangest, coolest, oldest, etc. person that shares your name.
  5. Post multiples if you find a few you like. Then pass it on to at least 5 other people.

I didn't find anyone who shares my name but I did find these two images of myself:




The cartoon is a crummy self-portrait I did for the webpage of my previous place of employment, the photo shows me playing in the sandbox at my current place of employment. Guess where I'm happier?

This is the craziest thing that turned up for DH's google image search:



I just don't follow politics so I don't understand this cartoon. Any input is appreciated.

So much for an introspective post. Consider yourself tagged if you want to play.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

ouch

This whole body image thing is so artificial. The skinny body the media promotes is impossible to attain without constant food monitoring and constant exercising. Exercise, as we know it, is completely artificial. Forty minutes of cardio, 20 minutes of toning, 20 minutes resistance training, target different muscle groups on alternating days. The right shoes, the equipment, the energy bars, the electrolyte replenisher. I want life to provide our bodies' exercise needs. You walk because you have to get from Point A to Point B. You tone your core muscles while carrying with you the things you'll need when you get there. Your job requires you to use your body and not just your brain. That's not what life is like. When your body faces what should be an everyday challenge, it's often unable to respond. Last night I picked up a giant load of books and other stuff from a freecycler in a second-story apartment. I carried 3 50+ pound boxes of books down 20 stairs, then helped ca...