Skip to main content

of course it starts in a Dumpster, or Why Can't I Start with a Simple Scarf?


Over the summer I found this bag in my favorite recycling center Dumpster.


Inside: seven or eight skeins of yarn, a crochet hook, and an abandoned swatch of decent crochet work.

Of course I brought it home and tried to teach myself to crochet from The Complete Book of Handicrafts. I managed to crochet a chain or two before utter frustration took over.

Then I found a book of crafts for kids at the library. It contained instructions for knitting a simple stuffed toy called "Fast Freddie." I thought, "If a kid can learn to knit, then so can I!"


So I did. This is Finfrock, who is nothing but a set of 5 simple garter stitched rectangles folded, stitched, stuffed, and sewn together. After finishing Finfrock and his scarf, I started an interminable garter stitch tote I've mentioned before. Cast on 130 stitches or so, and garter stitch until you've got a rectangle 26 inches in length. I'm maybe a third of the way there, but I've lost interest. So my mom taught me to knit a preemie cap for charity, which gave me lots of single rib practice and allowed me to botch my first decrease. Then in the library I found a book called World of Knitted Toys by Kath Dalmeney.


It took me a little over a week to knit and stuff the Adult Pig. I managed the instructions OK but my technique needs some improvement. Still, I'm proud I finished her. She's way overstuffed because I was thinking of the time I made Hillary's Pointy Kitty.



Next project? Lion Brand's free pattern for the Carousel Hat, in burgundy and purple, I think. Maybe with a scarf to match.

Comments

Momma_Dee said…
You are going to be a knitter par excellence. I can't believe you worked out that pig. My first knitting project ever was a hat and I never did finish it.
Ana said…
You're an inspiration, girl!
Love that Pig!
~A
Anonymous said…
Wow, you did a great job! Those are some cute little fellows. I love kids' knitting books, the projects are so sweet.
sulu-design said…
You are so, so impressive! I can't believe that these are your first projects. They are adorable, and so well-done. To think... it all started from a discarded bag in a dumpster!

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

in which I get knocked down

Sickness saps my energy, both physical and mental. It's surprising, really, how seldom I get sick, since I work in a petri dish. When I do get sick it lays me low and happenings that I might normally take in stride just completely knock me down. Last week I was diagnosed with an embarrassing viral infection, the symptoms of which on their own couldn't possibly have dragged me this deep down: sores in my mouth and throat that blistered and peeled and made every mouthful feel and taste like shredded pennies; an itchy rash around my mouth and nose and on my chest. Compounding that: knees that felt packed in hot wax, the backs of my eyeballs aflame. No fever, so no H1N1. Negative strep. Malaise. But I soldiered (martyred?) through most of the week at work, because I could, and some of the other teachers had to stay at home with their diverticulitis and kidney stones. On Thursday night my laptop died. On Friday night I felt I could deal with my weekend obligations. DH went out of t...