Skip to main content

walk on water (Sunday afternoon)


On Sunday we walked in the desert east of our house. We can access this sliver of land, owned by our homeowner's association, by sneaking through the right-of-way between two houses at the end of the cul-de-sac. Here the desert holds a network of dry riverbeds variously called washes or arroyos that rarely run with water. During our rainy season, though, the larger wash is fed by rain water and snowmelt running off the Santa Catalinas. Running water in the desert is cause for excitement!


Here the boys attempt to build a sand bridge. Play starts pretty tame. After all, temperatures hover in the low 60s and there's a windchill that makes it feel like high 50s. We're cold-blooded creatures in the desert southwest, happier in the summer when temperatures dance around the 100 degree mark. I didn't even feel the water.



But you can't lead boys and dogs to water and then forbid them to get wet. The boys were light on their feet in their initial forays.


The dogs had no such reservations. They jumped right in. I love how Cassie eats the water.


They played.


And played.


And played some more, until the adults started spouting that nonsense about how you'll get sick if you stay out in the wet and cold for too long, and it's time to go home and have a warm bath and some hot chocolate.


Evan said, "I've got a rock in my shoe!" That cracks me up.

We had fun.

Comments

Oooo...the one where neither of Jack's feet touching the water is startling! I had to scroll down to see how shallow the water was. Frame it!

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

in which I get knocked down

Sickness saps my energy, both physical and mental. It's surprising, really, how seldom I get sick, since I work in a petri dish. When I do get sick it lays me low and happenings that I might normally take in stride just completely knock me down. Last week I was diagnosed with an embarrassing viral infection, the symptoms of which on their own couldn't possibly have dragged me this deep down: sores in my mouth and throat that blistered and peeled and made every mouthful feel and taste like shredded pennies; an itchy rash around my mouth and nose and on my chest. Compounding that: knees that felt packed in hot wax, the backs of my eyeballs aflame. No fever, so no H1N1. Negative strep. Malaise. But I soldiered (martyred?) through most of the week at work, because I could, and some of the other teachers had to stay at home with their diverticulitis and kidney stones. On Thursday night my laptop died. On Friday night I felt I could deal with my weekend obligations. DH went out of t...