Skip to main content

comparison shopping

Last Thursday I went shopping at the mall, something I rarely do. I had a $20 mall gift card from a student last year, and a $25 Old Navy gift card from a student two years ago. I spent $8 at Borders on a set of 3 small Moleskine Cahier notebooks, the pocket-sized ones. I'm obsessed with these little wonders. I adore blank books but never write in them. I plan to tote one of these in my purse or my pocket to scribble revelations, epiphanies, or snippets of overheard conversation.

Then I went to Old Navy and spent $42.16. This is what I bought:
  • 2 tank tops, one purple and one black
  • 1 light blue camisole with lace edging
  • 1 black knit skirt

On Saturday I went to $1 clothing day at St. Vinnie's and also a church rummage sale around the corner. I spent $22. This is what I bought
  • 2 dresses
  • 1 pair of shorts
  • 1 skirt
  • 1 hat
  • 17 shirts (including a lovely black knit Chico's tank)
  • 14 books
  • 2 puzzles
  • 1 file book full of Pokemon cards
  • 1 purse

This is why I shop recycled, at thrift stores and rummage sales.

Comments

sulu-design said…
Amen! I love these posts of yours.

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

ouch

This whole body image thing is so artificial. The skinny body the media promotes is impossible to attain without constant food monitoring and constant exercising. Exercise, as we know it, is completely artificial. Forty minutes of cardio, 20 minutes of toning, 20 minutes resistance training, target different muscle groups on alternating days. The right shoes, the equipment, the energy bars, the electrolyte replenisher. I want life to provide our bodies' exercise needs. You walk because you have to get from Point A to Point B. You tone your core muscles while carrying with you the things you'll need when you get there. Your job requires you to use your body and not just your brain. That's not what life is like. When your body faces what should be an everyday challenge, it's often unable to respond. Last night I picked up a giant load of books and other stuff from a freecycler in a second-story apartment. I carried 3 50+ pound boxes of books down 20 stairs, then helped ca...