Skip to main content

the princess summoned

I'm standing by a storage cabinet in between the bathroom and the kids' play kitchen, watching the activity in the classroom. Chloe sits at the table, drawing a picture with markers. "Miss Becky," she says, "why do you have a voice like a princess?"

Nobody, I mean nobody, has ever described my voice as princess-like. "Do you think I have a voice like a princess?" I ask.

"Yes," she says. "I do." all the while smiling, that perfect lisp and those gorgeous cheekbones.

Meanwhile, a royal subject petitions the princess from the bathroom: "Miss Becky, will you wipe my bottom?" and there's Zach, pantless, assuming Downward Dog in front of the toilet.

I love my job.

Comments

Mim said…
This gave me such a chuckle! Something so sweet followed by the mundane. Perhaps your Cinderella?
sulu-design said…
Oh, yes! A year full of hysterical stories and bizarre classroom goings on awaits. Bring them on!

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

ouch

This whole body image thing is so artificial. The skinny body the media promotes is impossible to attain without constant food monitoring and constant exercising. Exercise, as we know it, is completely artificial. Forty minutes of cardio, 20 minutes of toning, 20 minutes resistance training, target different muscle groups on alternating days. The right shoes, the equipment, the energy bars, the electrolyte replenisher. I want life to provide our bodies' exercise needs. You walk because you have to get from Point A to Point B. You tone your core muscles while carrying with you the things you'll need when you get there. Your job requires you to use your body and not just your brain. That's not what life is like. When your body faces what should be an everyday challenge, it's often unable to respond. Last night I picked up a giant load of books and other stuff from a freecycler in a second-story apartment. I carried 3 50+ pound boxes of books down 20 stairs, then helped ca...