Skip to main content

birthday party #2

We had an exhausting week what with the beginning of school and all. I would have appreciated a nice, relaxing weekend, but what I got was a weekend full of birthday parties, a sleep-over, and date night for me and DH. Don't get me wrong: it was a lovely weekend. I just needed a little more downtime.


Anyhoo, we went to a birthday party for Jack's preschool friend Nathan at Sunrise Tae Kwan Do. The party begin with some floor work.


Then they lined up for an obstacle course. Here's Jack in line before the music started.


Here's Jack in line after the music started.


He hears anything techno, he can't keep his body still. I hope raves are WAY out of fashion when he becomes of age.

After the obstacle course, Jack was reluctant to join in any of the other activities. He hovered around the edges. He drank a juice. He sat by me. "What's up?" I asked. "Why don't you want to do the Tae Kwan Do?"

"Mommy? Is that the Wizard Goblin?"

"Who? What?"

"The Wizard Goblin? From that movie you made me watch?"



"You think Mr. Hodges looks like the Goblin King? From Labyrinth?" I said.

"You mean that's the guy who played him?" Jack asked.

"No. That's not David Bowie."

I don't know. You be the judge. Anyway, Jack was cowed enough by Mr. Hodges to retreat from activities until the wall climb. He liked that one pretty well.




He also got into dodge ball. But that might have been the techno music.


By the end of the party (the second of the day) he was pretty well wiped. Juice remedies many maladies. After the party he was rarin' to go to a sleepover. I was rarin' for a nap.

Comments

Ana said…
He totally looks like David Bowie... Jack's amazing. What a good eye!

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

ouch

This whole body image thing is so artificial. The skinny body the media promotes is impossible to attain without constant food monitoring and constant exercising. Exercise, as we know it, is completely artificial. Forty minutes of cardio, 20 minutes of toning, 20 minutes resistance training, target different muscle groups on alternating days. The right shoes, the equipment, the energy bars, the electrolyte replenisher. I want life to provide our bodies' exercise needs. You walk because you have to get from Point A to Point B. You tone your core muscles while carrying with you the things you'll need when you get there. Your job requires you to use your body and not just your brain. That's not what life is like. When your body faces what should be an everyday challenge, it's often unable to respond. Last night I picked up a giant load of books and other stuff from a freecycler in a second-story apartment. I carried 3 50+ pound boxes of books down 20 stairs, then helped ca...