Skip to main content

not my dog


This is not my dog. But doesn't he look a lot like her?


Maybe he's Cassie's brother?

I met Maui at my house when his owner came to buy something I'd posted on craig's list. His head was poking out the back window of her truck when I opened my door to greet her. The first thing I said was, "Oh! Your dog could be my dog! They look so much alike!"

I talked to Stacy for a long time, and Maui and Cassie met but there was no sweet reunion. Cassie treated him as she'd treat any other dog she'd just met. Stacy gave me many Dog Whisper-er inspired pointers on how to curb Cassie's barking. Cassie went back inside, Maui went back into the truck, and Stacy and I continued to talk.

Apparently we talked too long. Maui grew impatient and whined out the back window. Then he moved to the front seat. Then he honked the horn. Three times.


No, not my dog. But I wish he was.

Comments

auntie m said…
I loved that Maui honked the horn. So much like a human child. How could one not like this dog?
Momma_Dee said…
Body and legs sure look like the Cass. Honking the horn cracks me up.
Ana said…
Cassie may not honk the horn, but she sure does like the driver's seat!
Great blog, B!

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

in which I get knocked down

Sickness saps my energy, both physical and mental. It's surprising, really, how seldom I get sick, since I work in a petri dish. When I do get sick it lays me low and happenings that I might normally take in stride just completely knock me down. Last week I was diagnosed with an embarrassing viral infection, the symptoms of which on their own couldn't possibly have dragged me this deep down: sores in my mouth and throat that blistered and peeled and made every mouthful feel and taste like shredded pennies; an itchy rash around my mouth and nose and on my chest. Compounding that: knees that felt packed in hot wax, the backs of my eyeballs aflame. No fever, so no H1N1. Negative strep. Malaise. But I soldiered (martyred?) through most of the week at work, because I could, and some of the other teachers had to stay at home with their diverticulitis and kidney stones. On Thursday night my laptop died. On Friday night I felt I could deal with my weekend obligations. DH went out of t...