Skip to main content

I didn't know I could make this kind of food

Since I've been home on Christmas break I've been craving big breakfasts. I don't want to cook dinner at night but I want to cook breakfast. This morning as I was walking the track with Ana and Cassie I was thinking about what I have in the pantry and what I could create. I've been wanting to make creamed turkey because I don't remember eating it and I've never made it. I wanted to make potato pancakes ever since we ate them at Amber as our appetizer for the TRT Holiday party.

So I came home and grated 2 Yukon gold potatoes into the nonstick skillet and started them a-fryin in olive oil with salt and pepper. I diced up a fair amount of leftover turkey and started in on a basic white sauce made from 4 tbsp of butter whisked with 4 tbsp of flour in a saucepan over medium heat while 2 cups of milk warmed in the microsity. Whisk the roux, flip the potatoes. Salt it all. Gradually pour the milk in with the roux --- oh no! --- lumpy! It won't matter after I add the turkey, will it?

No. It won't. Creamed turkey over olive-oil fried yukon gold potatoes. That's a perfect Christmas break breakfast!

Comments

auntie m said…
Sounds really good. I love fried potatoes. Amber?...I have a box of matches sitting in front of me from Amber in Westmont, IL. Could this be a chain?

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

in which I get knocked down

Sickness saps my energy, both physical and mental. It's surprising, really, how seldom I get sick, since I work in a petri dish. When I do get sick it lays me low and happenings that I might normally take in stride just completely knock me down. Last week I was diagnosed with an embarrassing viral infection, the symptoms of which on their own couldn't possibly have dragged me this deep down: sores in my mouth and throat that blistered and peeled and made every mouthful feel and taste like shredded pennies; an itchy rash around my mouth and nose and on my chest. Compounding that: knees that felt packed in hot wax, the backs of my eyeballs aflame. No fever, so no H1N1. Negative strep. Malaise. But I soldiered (martyred?) through most of the week at work, because I could, and some of the other teachers had to stay at home with their diverticulitis and kidney stones. On Thursday night my laptop died. On Friday night I felt I could deal with my weekend obligations. DH went out of t...