Skip to main content

wotd: plucky (inspired by Kcookski)

plucky \PLUHK-ee\, adjective:
1. Having or showing pluck or courage; brave.
Origin:
Plucky is originally boxing slang from the 1800s, from the meaning "heart, viscera" as that which is "plucked" from slaughtered livestock.
Application:
The word I use to describe myself in the context of my summer undertaking: the care of children in my own home. Others prefer to describe me as nearsighted, foolhardy, suicidal, overly optimistic... By the end of the summer I may be experiencing the word's origins. But today, with my first day of in-home care for 13 children a whole week away, I'm plucky: courageous, excited, kamikaze.

Comments

Kcookski said…
Some people might argue that taking on a bunch o' children not your own might be better described as "cray-zee." :) Good luck!!!! Those kiddos are in great hands.
shy_smiley said…
Yeah, Kcookski, cray-zee but also curious. I'm excited about the summer and generally feel plucky and positive... but ask me how I feel the second week in August.
sulu-design said…
I wish you luck (but I don't think you need it). Good for you for creating a summer job!

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

in which I get knocked down

Sickness saps my energy, both physical and mental. It's surprising, really, how seldom I get sick, since I work in a petri dish. When I do get sick it lays me low and happenings that I might normally take in stride just completely knock me down. Last week I was diagnosed with an embarrassing viral infection, the symptoms of which on their own couldn't possibly have dragged me this deep down: sores in my mouth and throat that blistered and peeled and made every mouthful feel and taste like shredded pennies; an itchy rash around my mouth and nose and on my chest. Compounding that: knees that felt packed in hot wax, the backs of my eyeballs aflame. No fever, so no H1N1. Negative strep. Malaise. But I soldiered (martyred?) through most of the week at work, because I could, and some of the other teachers had to stay at home with their diverticulitis and kidney stones. On Thursday night my laptop died. On Friday night I felt I could deal with my weekend obligations. DH went out of t...