Skip to main content

world news

More often than not, any significant event in my life is accompanied by a world crisis. Three days after the birth of my son, Al Qaeda hijacked four jets and forced them into the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and a field in Pennsylvania. I have a child's grasp of what happened on 9/11, simply because I was only three days post-partum.

Many, many years later, I was struggling to extricate myself from my relationship with my son's father when earthquakes devastated Haiti. All kinds of natural disasters ensued in 2010, but I was so wrapped up in my own problems that I barely noticed them.

The day I signed a lease to move out of the house we've occupied for 12 years, my classmate Gabby Giffords was shot in the head at a Meet and Greet across town. My own grief laid me raw. Her tragedy barely even registered.

Recently Osama Bin Laden was killed in Pakistan. I don't even know how to feel about that because I'm clearing this house of anything I wish to keep pending a trustee sale on Monday. Osama Bin Laden is dead? Who cares? My house has been foreclosed.

If William and Kate are looking for an unprepossessing little home in Tucson, I know where they can buy one at auction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

in which I get knocked down

Sickness saps my energy, both physical and mental. It's surprising, really, how seldom I get sick, since I work in a petri dish. When I do get sick it lays me low and happenings that I might normally take in stride just completely knock me down. Last week I was diagnosed with an embarrassing viral infection, the symptoms of which on their own couldn't possibly have dragged me this deep down: sores in my mouth and throat that blistered and peeled and made every mouthful feel and taste like shredded pennies; an itchy rash around my mouth and nose and on my chest. Compounding that: knees that felt packed in hot wax, the backs of my eyeballs aflame. No fever, so no H1N1. Negative strep. Malaise. But I soldiered (martyred?) through most of the week at work, because I could, and some of the other teachers had to stay at home with their diverticulitis and kidney stones. On Thursday night my laptop died. On Friday night I felt I could deal with my weekend obligations. DH went out of t...