Skip to main content

five minute free write friday


write about a task, job, or chore you dislike

I hate emptying the dishwasher. There's something about that used water that feels dirty, though I use the dishwasher to sanitize the dishes. I don't like talking on the phone to anyone. That's not considered a chore sometimes but to me it is. Calling the insurance company, the doctor's office, even a close friend is something I dislike doing. There's that strange otherworldly space between your phone and mine. My words get lost and I don't have the advantage of thinking about them like I do when I get to write them down.

I dislike lesson planning. i'm a big advocate of free play, believing that children learn best when they set their own goals and explore their own interests.

I dislike washing the car. I'd rather pay someone else to do it, but then I'm dissatisfied with the way it's done.

I dislike making the bed. I've given that up completely, actually. Used to be I couldn't sleep in a bed that hadn't been made, but nowadays I don't even care if the bed has sheets on it. I do care, however, if my feet feel clean. I've been known to arise from near sleep to wash my feet in the sink.

A task, a chore, a job I dislike. It becomes more difficult to pinpoint. It's petty, isn't it? This bemoaning such a little thing like emptying the dishwasher or making a phone call or washing the car. what to do ? How to turn it positive? Jack's old enough to empty the dishwasher, and he doesn't mind doing it (overmuch, anyway). Much of my communication I can do through email rather than over the phone. Loosen up about the way the car is washed. Stop making the bed. Wash my feet. It's all small stuff. And I'm tired. Goo dnight.

Comments

auntie m said…
I feel exactly the same way about phone calls and dirty feet.

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

in which I get knocked down

Sickness saps my energy, both physical and mental. It's surprising, really, how seldom I get sick, since I work in a petri dish. When I do get sick it lays me low and happenings that I might normally take in stride just completely knock me down. Last week I was diagnosed with an embarrassing viral infection, the symptoms of which on their own couldn't possibly have dragged me this deep down: sores in my mouth and throat that blistered and peeled and made every mouthful feel and taste like shredded pennies; an itchy rash around my mouth and nose and on my chest. Compounding that: knees that felt packed in hot wax, the backs of my eyeballs aflame. No fever, so no H1N1. Negative strep. Malaise. But I soldiered (martyred?) through most of the week at work, because I could, and some of the other teachers had to stay at home with their diverticulitis and kidney stones. On Thursday night my laptop died. On Friday night I felt I could deal with my weekend obligations. DH went out of t...