Skip to main content

paper wood glue wire

I've got a small collection of toy refrigerators and I'm always looking for more. I bought this little set of vintage wooden dollhouse furniture at Savers because it includes not a fridge but an icebox or a piesafe or whatever your little vintage mind wants it to be. I love the detailing on the sink, too, though I didn't get a picture of it in this little montage. I also had to have the furniture because it reminds me of summer trips from AZ to IL to visit Grandma Goldie, where Bin and I played with the old dollhouse furniture and crumbling cement (plaster?) blocks Goldie kept from Mama Dee's childhood. Goldie kept them in an old shoebox and an old coffee can, nestled up on the shelf formed by the top of the wall panels under the eaves of the garage. I hope Goldie still has those and will pass them along to me or Bin. Lots of warm childhood memories wrapped up in play with those blocks and furniture.



The mice and cheese are another bit of papercraft (completed while playing a game of Star Wars Anopoly) called Golddiggers, downloaded from 3-eyed bear. I'll soon start work on a few papercraft robots. I'll let you see when I'm done!

The cute little shifty little green fellow is from a different Savers trip, from the 25 cent bin at the front of the store. He's made of painted wooden beads and wire, with "Made in Austria" stamped on the underside of the base. Isn't he darling?

Comments

Gina said…
Hi

Found you on Apron Thrift Girl's blog. I love the furniture, the mice and the little guy!

I used to live in Tucson (on East Pima!) and you monsoon picture brings back many memories. :-)
sulu-design said…
I'm intrigued by your little collection - it's so charming. That bottom photo knocks my socks off. It's like a great old portrait. I love it.

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

in which I get knocked down

Sickness saps my energy, both physical and mental. It's surprising, really, how seldom I get sick, since I work in a petri dish. When I do get sick it lays me low and happenings that I might normally take in stride just completely knock me down. Last week I was diagnosed with an embarrassing viral infection, the symptoms of which on their own couldn't possibly have dragged me this deep down: sores in my mouth and throat that blistered and peeled and made every mouthful feel and taste like shredded pennies; an itchy rash around my mouth and nose and on my chest. Compounding that: knees that felt packed in hot wax, the backs of my eyeballs aflame. No fever, so no H1N1. Negative strep. Malaise. But I soldiered (martyred?) through most of the week at work, because I could, and some of the other teachers had to stay at home with their diverticulitis and kidney stones. On Thursday night my laptop died. On Friday night I felt I could deal with my weekend obligations. DH went out of t...