Skip to main content
Two weeks ago my friend Ana and I spent the weekend in Bisbee at the Shady Dell (trailer park). This, of course, was a joy in itself. But also joyful was a funny little packed-to-the-rooftop musty-smelling thrift store out on Bisbee Road on the way to the Farmer's Market. I rejoiced in finding Jack a pair of OshKosh jeans for twenty-five cents. A quarter for a pair of jeans! Also found this cool ceramic skull ($1.00) just in time for Halloween.



I'm thinking of sticking it in a planter and growing a vine out of it after the holidays are over. Reminds me of Mandy's Darth Maul mug with the cactus growing out of it.

Though I had a great time in Bisbee with Ana, I was a bit disappointed to have missed our church's third annual rummage sale. I previewed some of the goodies and lamented the fact that I couldn't go to the sale. But I did go to church the Sunday after the sale. The youth group leader---who organized the sale---told us they'd raised more money in this one sale alone than they did in all their fundraising efforts last year. There were still a few items left: things that didn't sell at the sale proper, and things that didn't fit in the Salvation Army truck that came to haul away the leftovers. She invited parishioners to take what they wanted and leave a donation if they wished.

SCORE

big time

first I picked up this hippy ergonomic desk chair. I've always wanted one. I plan to strip this, paint it, and recover it, possibly in Dia de los Muertos fabric, if I can find it. If I ever actually do this, I'll post results.



Then I pondered this purchase. I already have a bike. I bought it full price 15 years ago. It's a Bianchi hybrid, and it served me well. But as I've matured, I've always wanted the classic 3-speed. This fit the bill. Would DH kill me if I brought home another bike? Would I ever ride it? Would it languish on the back patio with the family's other bikes?

who cares?



so I gave a $20 donation and came home with this 3-speed. That delightful Cirque de Soleil dragon was already in the basket.

Never heard of Skeppshult? Neither had I. I looked it up on the Internet: Skeppshult. See? That's me some day. Funky urban dweller coasting a cobblestone path to my little apartment above a corner flowershop, where I write critically-acclaimed short stories, drink endless espressi, and cook exquisite meals for my husband and son. See how happy I am?

Maybe 20 bucks can't buy happiness, but it can buy you a $1595 Skeppshult bike. And a dream.

Comments

Wendy said…
Is it really a Skeppshult? I love thrift shopping - my favorite pastime!

And welcome back :)
shy_smiley said…
Yes, Wendy. REALLY a Skeppshult! Can you believe it?! I was on Cloud Nine for days!

And thanks. Good to be back.
I love it! That's amazing. And you look so serene in that photo.

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

ouch

This whole body image thing is so artificial. The skinny body the media promotes is impossible to attain without constant food monitoring and constant exercising. Exercise, as we know it, is completely artificial. Forty minutes of cardio, 20 minutes of toning, 20 minutes resistance training, target different muscle groups on alternating days. The right shoes, the equipment, the energy bars, the electrolyte replenisher. I want life to provide our bodies' exercise needs. You walk because you have to get from Point A to Point B. You tone your core muscles while carrying with you the things you'll need when you get there. Your job requires you to use your body and not just your brain. That's not what life is like. When your body faces what should be an everyday challenge, it's often unable to respond. Last night I picked up a giant load of books and other stuff from a freecycler in a second-story apartment. I carried 3 50+ pound boxes of books down 20 stairs, then helped ca...