Skip to main content
the guilt

I've always had it. Anything I find enjoyable becomes a guilty pleasure, because if it's enjoyable, then it must not be good for me. I should be doing something else, like emptying the dishwasher, or folding laundry, or vacuuming the floors. This house is overridden by tasks that need doing.

But what I really want to do:


thrift to find bargains, like this brand new Vera Bradley bag purchased for 2.99 at my favorite store in the world, the 22nd Street Thrift Store


thrift to find this other brandless bag that I've been carrying my personals in lately


thrift to find treasures, like these darling little springtime friends


thrift to find fabric, like this Grandma's Attic retro print I bought to make Pointy Kitty for my sister. Pointy Kitty is a free template you can get from Hillary Lang at her whimsical Wee Wonderfuls website


thrift to find reading material, like my latest three conquests. I'm deeply into nostalgia right now, though why I should be nostalgiac about the '50s and a strong-willed woman's subservience to machismo is beyond me. Anyway, I Love Lucy!


thrift to find crafty bits crying out for assemblage and collage. I've got me some ideas, and some yearnings, and if I didn't have laundry to fold I might be writing or collaging or scrapbooking!

Comments

Gnightgirl said…
Great loot! I have to get out there and go thrifting with you!

Popular posts from this blog

wotd: temporize

temporize \TEM-puh-ryz\, intransitive verb:
1. To be indecisive or evasive in order to gain time or delay action.
2. To comply with the time or occasion; to yield to prevailing opinion or circumstances.
3. To engage in discussions or negotiations so as to gain time (usually followed by 'with').
4. To come to terms (usually followed by 'with').

It's easy to tell yourself that you'll write a daily blog entry using the word of the day from dictionary(dot)com as a prompt, and equally easy to temporize your daily entry by waffling over what to write about, or evading your obligation by procrastination. There. Bedtime.

my favorite

Sometimes I dream of operating a food truck specializing in gourmet wok-popped popcorn.

40 observations on the eve before my 40th birthday

Indulge me! In no particular order:

1. I love making pinatas. I've made a pinata for Jack's birthday for the last five years. The Death Star, a jellyfish from Spongebob, Patrick Star from Spongebob, Plankton from Spongebob, and just this year King Pig from Angry Birds. I've been commissioned by a friend to produce another Angry Birds Pig pinata for her son's birthday. I'm gonna do it.

2. Right now three of my ten fingers hurt when I type. I don't bite my nails (unless one is already broken) but I do pick and pull at my cuticles. I've developed acute paronychia, a bacterial infection, at those three finger tips. The one that hurts the most is my right thumb. Space bar hell. I've done this to myself since childhood. When I'm pulling and nipping at a hangnail, I know it's going to hurt but I go ahead and do it anyway.

3. I consider myself substantial: in body and in mind. I am robust. I have zeal. I just don't have any confidence.

4. My brain stop…