Skip to main content

Halloween a week ago



The actual trick or treating was, for me, anticlimactic after the production of two Jawa costumes. The dual production of two Jawa costumes because I was so dissatisfied with my first attempt. The second attempt commenced Saturday morning after I jogged 8.5 miles, ate The Hungry Jill at Alice's Restaurant, and visited St. Vinnie's, where I found a beige full-size flannel sheet with two pillowcases. Bought a second bottle of Rit Dark Brown at JoAnn's, and dyed that flannel before the second attempt at costume design began.

On Sunday, after jogging 9.5 miles and attending church services, DH and Jack went up the mountain to view some fall colors and I set myself to remaking those Jawa costumes. Due to the smaller size of the fabric I had to revamp the design entirely but in the end I was much happier with the results. The color and the fit are better. In making the costumes I learned that sewing is way more about preparation than about running the machine.



I made the gunbelts from a remnant of tan vinyl from JoAnn. I rubbed it with black StayzOn ink and spent a lot of time zig-zagging edges and constructing pockets. Making something completely from my own vision was a lot of fun and fueled my creative confidence.



To make the masks I covered standard decorator's white plastic face masks with black velour fabric (found that Elmer's white did the job better than anything else). At Saver's I found two short strings of Christmas lights that operated on battery packs (2 c-cells each). From my own Christmas lights I pillaged amber bulbs which were just the right color and just the right size. Poked those through the velour just below the eye holes in the mask... in the dark they were perfect but the boys refused to wear them because it was still practically 90 degrees outside and it was hot under the hoods.



DH made the blasters by jigsawing the stock from a sheet of plywood then sanding and staining it. The barrels he made from two different sizes of PVC pipe and a shower flange (or something like it) all glued together and painted with a black rubberized spraypaint. The blasters didn't survive being dropped when the boys fell face forward after tripping over the frayed edges of their appropriately-colored but maybe a bit too long robes, but they looked awful danged cool for the first 20 minutes.

Comments

Momma_Dee said…
Oh, my, I am impressed with the very talented you.
Lissa1962 said…
Becky,
I am so impressed by your creative ability. I don't know anything about blogs, so this is a new experience for me. So cool!!
I need to read on! love, Lissa
shy_smiley said…
Thanks, Mom. And did you tell baby sister Pearl about my blog? I'm so glad. We gotta hook up Goldy with a computer and then we'll all be wired together!

Love you both.
Ana said…
Becky,
Absolutely amazing: the cloaks, the gun belts, the blasters, ...and the masks even have glowing eyes! So real I can just hear them capturing poor Artoo...
Really incredible.

Popular posts from this blog

memory

wedding gift

On Saturday Dave's cousin Traci is getting married. At the last minute we decided to fly to Ames for the wedding and to see everyone who will be in attendance there. At the last minute, I decided to crochet a throw as a wedding gift. I just finished. The colors in this first picture are true; the other two pictures were taken with flash so the colors look brighter than they really are. I started last Monday night with 7 skeins of Lion Brand Chenille Thick and Quick in Periwinkle. It's 72 single crochet in the back loop only for as many rows as you want. Then single crochet around in a contrasting color. I chose Wine. I bought the yarn at Big Lots for half the retail price. It's long and skinny but very texturally appealing. Though all skeins were of the same dye lot, you can see that the top and bottom skein are definitely different, not so much in color as in texture. It's pure dumb luck that they ended up at the top and bottom. It's not perfect, but neither is mar
Jack doesn't have many "activities." I don't relish the thought of driving him to soccer, piano lessons, gymnastics, tae kwon do, KidzArt, swim team, T-ball, so on, and so forth. Not to say that I don't recognize the value of these activities, but I witness firsthand the toll a full schedule takes on little ones. On Monday nights Jack and his cousin participate in Young Champions of America Karate, which is more about learning discipline, respect, and self defense than it is about martial arts. Recently we've picked up a new activity, which is also about learning discipline, respect, and creativity: Tucson Lego Club. He was invited to join by Nathan and Lucas, friends from church who also attended the preschool a few years ahead of Jack. Here he sits between them, at a table surrounded by 6 other boys, each of them building a lavish Lego creation. Members spend an hour building and fraternizing, sometimes more fraternizing than building, but at the end of the