Skip to main content

First Rate thrifting finds

I've discovered a new thrift store that opened late last October. During December last year I would see offers on the local freecycle list for items to be picked up at the back door of a thrift store located at Beverly and Speedway. Only two weeks ago did I investigate further and make my first expedition to First Rate Second Hand Thrift Store. My initial reaction was disappointment. The giant room was full of collectibles and furniture at antique-store prices. Some glassware and shoes at Goodwill prices. A few racks of clothes at Savers prices.

But then, the Back Room.

Lit by a few fluorescent fixtures flickering above, dismal and disorganized, the Back Room is crammed front-to-back wall-to-wall with Junk. Like some old couple's garage where they and their friends deposit every broken thing they no longer use inside but can't bear to part with and plan on organizing into a garage sale some day. Rag and Bone. Trash. And we all know hidden amongst the trash you often find Treasure. I haven't found it there yet, but I've had a good time looking.

On my first visit to First Rate Second Hand, I bought two pair of knitting needles and two alien figures. (We already had one of the pink ones, and I was thrilled to find another along with his blue pal, because I'd given our original pink one to Aunt Bin for her alien collection).

On my second visit Jack and I met Aunt Bin and the Boys there. We went first to the Toy Room, where Jack right away found 4 Star Wars action figures and marched himself up to the clerk at the counter to ask how much they were. First Rate Second Hand does not bag its toys and make you pay $2.99 for a bag of junk with one treasure in it. The action figures there are loose in a bin. You can pick and choose what you want.


Buck fifty!

We took turns staying with the boys in the Toy Room and perusing the Antique Room. Then we all went to the Junk Room together. Again, we didn't buy anything there but we had a great time. Brazey almost went head-first into a cardboard box full of discarded remote controls. The boys played their Transformers game by pushing the buttons on various ancient microwaves and VCRs. Bin and I cackled over some of the ridiculous stuff we found.

Next: the Boutique Case at the front of the store. The clerk showed us various items and told us about the store's nonprofit status by affiliation with a Jewish organization in town, hence the large section of Judaica in the corner by the books, where I found a brand new still-in-the-shrink wrap 2008 Star Trek calendar for $2.00. From the Boutique Case Bin bought a tiny keyless cuckoo clock. I looked at scrimshaw ivory earrings that were out of my budget. But a pair of pewter earrings became mine for $2.50, and a tiny crocheted animal has found a home with me, too.




We had too much fun, and when you come to visit, we'll take you there.

Comments

Julie Ray said…
i've been wanting to go to that thrift store! i love yard sales and crafts. i enjoyed reading your blog.
julie

Popular posts from this blog

memory

Jack doesn't have many "activities." I don't relish the thought of driving him to soccer, piano lessons, gymnastics, tae kwon do, KidzArt, swim team, T-ball, so on, and so forth. Not to say that I don't recognize the value of these activities, but I witness firsthand the toll a full schedule takes on little ones. On Monday nights Jack and his cousin participate in Young Champions of America Karate, which is more about learning discipline, respect, and self defense than it is about martial arts. Recently we've picked up a new activity, which is also about learning discipline, respect, and creativity: Tucson Lego Club. He was invited to join by Nathan and Lucas, friends from church who also attended the preschool a few years ahead of Jack. Here he sits between them, at a table surrounded by 6 other boys, each of them building a lavish Lego creation. Members spend an hour building and fraternizing, sometimes more fraternizing than building, but at the end of the

wedding gift

On Saturday Dave's cousin Traci is getting married. At the last minute we decided to fly to Ames for the wedding and to see everyone who will be in attendance there. At the last minute, I decided to crochet a throw as a wedding gift. I just finished. The colors in this first picture are true; the other two pictures were taken with flash so the colors look brighter than they really are. I started last Monday night with 7 skeins of Lion Brand Chenille Thick and Quick in Periwinkle. It's 72 single crochet in the back loop only for as many rows as you want. Then single crochet around in a contrasting color. I chose Wine. I bought the yarn at Big Lots for half the retail price. It's long and skinny but very texturally appealing. Though all skeins were of the same dye lot, you can see that the top and bottom skein are definitely different, not so much in color as in texture. It's pure dumb luck that they ended up at the top and bottom. It's not perfect, but neither is mar