Skip to main content

yeah, I been busy

First I got real depressed, then I served Jury Duty on a 6-day felony murder trial, completed a project for our school's biggest fundraiser, the Family Fiesta, and started a second job. Extra time is scarce. Many of my favorite things to do have fallen by the wayside, like blogging, knitting, crocheting, collaging, and even reading. Unless you want to hear more about it, I'll save details of the depression and the jury duty, and fill you in on the Family Fiesta.


The Fiesta is always Mexican-themed. This year we hired the Pueblo High School Mariachi to provide entertainment. They were phenomenal. And numerous.


Here's half my class singing for the crowd. We're called The Slippery Fish, so we sang the Charlotte Diamond classic, Slippery Fish.


Lots of people there, good food, a live auction, and a silent auction.


The kids did the art for the live auction item, but DH and I finished up the table. Each child created a colorful marker drawing and told me what they'd made. I reduced and color-copied the drawings, mod-podged them to the tabletop, and added each child's explanation. It didn't turn out at all as I'd envisioned it, but sold to the highest bidder at $275. The family who bought it has two little girls at our school and I've had both of them in my class. That makes me happy.


Inside we had an art show along with the silent auction items. Kids' art is inspiring.


Jack came too. I know he's big, but standing him next to one of my kids really brings it home.

Comments

Ahh, so glad to see you back dahlin. I was just tonight thinking that we might have to resort to a *phone call* to catch up! Remember those?

lufyu!
sulu-design said…
Wow... "busy" doesn't even begin to describe it! I'd been thinking of you and hoping that you'd been on an upswing.
Your fiesta looks like it was a major success. Congratulations on pulling it all off. Now put your feet up and take a breath!

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

in which I get knocked down

Sickness saps my energy, both physical and mental. It's surprising, really, how seldom I get sick, since I work in a petri dish. When I do get sick it lays me low and happenings that I might normally take in stride just completely knock me down. Last week I was diagnosed with an embarrassing viral infection, the symptoms of which on their own couldn't possibly have dragged me this deep down: sores in my mouth and throat that blistered and peeled and made every mouthful feel and taste like shredded pennies; an itchy rash around my mouth and nose and on my chest. Compounding that: knees that felt packed in hot wax, the backs of my eyeballs aflame. No fever, so no H1N1. Negative strep. Malaise. But I soldiered (martyred?) through most of the week at work, because I could, and some of the other teachers had to stay at home with their diverticulitis and kidney stones. On Thursday night my laptop died. On Friday night I felt I could deal with my weekend obligations. DH went out of t...