Skip to main content

sneaky surprise

I love freecycle. If you watch the postings closely, you can pick up just about anything you could need or want: a travel trailer, say, or infant formula. Clothing, shoes, and toys. Or rats. Pet rats, not feeders. Fancy rats.


Like Sneaky.


And Tiny.


We'd been considering an African Giant Millipede as a camp pet for the preschool, but when I saw a freecycle posting for several rats, I reconsidered. Got approval from the director. Got the rats.


Jack and I brought them home, nameless, last Sunday night. Coincidentally, the very same day we found their habitat new in the box from Goodwill for $12.99 (were my planets aligned or what? those mothers cost around $80 at PetSmart!). Jack promptly named the brown hooded one Sneaky, and the hairless one Tiny. They spent the night comfortably enough, I supposed. But when I checked on them Monday morning I thought something was horribly wrong. Sneaky dug in a corner, hurling bedding behind her, and what looked like a body part. Oh my stars, that's not merely a body part, it's an entire body! Christ in a sidecar! Sneaky delivered 4 tiny rat kittens in the night.


This is the only picture I managed before providing a box for Sneaky to give shelter to her wee babes. She carried them in, one by one, and I never saw them again. Seriously. I never saw them again. Alive, that is. The first one that I'd mistaken for a body part was already dead. That left Sneaky with three kittens to care for. Tuesday morning when I checked I discovered her sleeping soundly on one dead kitten. I saw hide nor hair of the others. Slowly I realized the awful truth: Sneaky was guilty of an atrocious, cannibalistic infanticide.


I took her to preschool anyway, along with Tiny. I hope they don't eat any of the kids.

Comments

Ana said…
Okay, this post should come with a warning. First, that Tiny is nasty-lookin'. An abomination of nature.
And what a horrible outcome to Sneaky's surprise!
What did Jack say about that?
Personally, I would use this as a teaching moment: Aren't you glad I didn't eat you when you were born? The lesson here is: Be good to mommy. (insert sinister cackle)=]
Gnightgirl said…
This was a good breakfast post. You should send to Andrew Zimmern. Maybe you can get Sneaky onto an episode of "Bizarre Foods." Rat kittens, yuck.

Remember when I brought my cat home, she delivered dead babies the same night too.
sulu-design said…
Wow. I was expecting none of this. I don't know where to start. I love a blog post that leaves me speechless.

Popular posts from this blog

wotd: temporize

temporize \TEM-puh-ryz\, intransitive verb:
1. To be indecisive or evasive in order to gain time or delay action.
2. To comply with the time or occasion; to yield to prevailing opinion or circumstances.
3. To engage in discussions or negotiations so as to gain time (usually followed by 'with').
4. To come to terms (usually followed by 'with').

It's easy to tell yourself that you'll write a daily blog entry using the word of the day from dictionary(dot)com as a prompt, and equally easy to temporize your daily entry by waffling over what to write about, or evading your obligation by procrastination. There. Bedtime.

my favorite

Sometimes I dream of operating a food truck specializing in gourmet wok-popped popcorn.

40 observations on the eve before my 40th birthday

Indulge me! In no particular order:

1. I love making pinatas. I've made a pinata for Jack's birthday for the last five years. The Death Star, a jellyfish from Spongebob, Patrick Star from Spongebob, Plankton from Spongebob, and just this year King Pig from Angry Birds. I've been commissioned by a friend to produce another Angry Birds Pig pinata for her son's birthday. I'm gonna do it.

2. Right now three of my ten fingers hurt when I type. I don't bite my nails (unless one is already broken) but I do pick and pull at my cuticles. I've developed acute paronychia, a bacterial infection, at those three finger tips. The one that hurts the most is my right thumb. Space bar hell. I've done this to myself since childhood. When I'm pulling and nipping at a hangnail, I know it's going to hurt but I go ahead and do it anyway.

3. I consider myself substantial: in body and in mind. I am robust. I have zeal. I just don't have any confidence.

4. My brain stop…