Skip to main content

nothing

"What are you doing this summer?" my friend Doreen asked over lunch at Maria Bonita.

"Nothing." I replied.

"Nothing? What's Jack doing?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"Nothing."

"I'm so jealous!"

I've had a remarkable number of these "nothing" conversations. I'm leading an enviable life, it seems. I suppose, though, that "nothing" depends much on your perspective. When I look back on my day I see a schedule full of gratifying activity, but because little of it was paid activity, I feel like I'm doing nothing.

Today I got up at 5:00 am. I made myself a cup of coffee, which I enjoyed with a Nonni's Biscotti. I checked my email, logged on to facebook, accepted some gifts for my L'il Green Patch, changed my status, and learned Farkle. Then I checked my Bloglines and posted here. Most mornings I take Cassie for a walk or a run, but because I've run the last two days in a row today I took a break. Another cup of coffee. Cut up half a watermelon to make a salad. Cut and sugared a pound of strawberries. Emptied the dishwasher. Folded a load of laundry. Read today's scripture. Went to Grocery Outlet and Trader Joe's. Prepped a watermelon, feta, basil, and kalamata olive salad; prepped summer squash with rustic pesto. Crocheted two rounds on a hat while watching original Star Trek first season episode "Return of the Archons." Made lunch. Swept both back patios. Gave Cassie a bath. Swept and mopped all the hard floors in the house and made all the beds. Did the 8:00 Min Arm toner workout on YouTube. Crocheted another round. Worked for 3 hours at the preschool. Made a shortcake to take with the watermelon and pesto summer squash to my neighbor's house for dinner. Watched WipeOut but skipped I Survived a Japanese Game Show. Now I'm going to hop in the shower, supervise Jack's shower and teeth brushing, then read him a picture book and a chapter of Harry Potter. Then I might read a chapter or two of my own book before drifting off to Dreamland.

That's a day full of Nothing. I love it, too, but I feel guilty that I'm not actively contributing to the financial good of the household. I'm grateful for these days but sense them coming to an end.

Comments

auntie m said…
You live a very enviable life, Shy. I wish I did nothing too. I did watch that WipeOut with B and we got a lot of laughs out of it.

Popular posts from this blog

memory

wedding gift

On Saturday Dave's cousin Traci is getting married. At the last minute we decided to fly to Ames for the wedding and to see everyone who will be in attendance there. At the last minute, I decided to crochet a throw as a wedding gift. I just finished. The colors in this first picture are true; the other two pictures were taken with flash so the colors look brighter than they really are. I started last Monday night with 7 skeins of Lion Brand Chenille Thick and Quick in Periwinkle. It's 72 single crochet in the back loop only for as many rows as you want. Then single crochet around in a contrasting color. I chose Wine. I bought the yarn at Big Lots for half the retail price. It's long and skinny but very texturally appealing. Though all skeins were of the same dye lot, you can see that the top and bottom skein are definitely different, not so much in color as in texture. It's pure dumb luck that they ended up at the top and bottom. It's not perfect, but neither is mar
Jack doesn't have many "activities." I don't relish the thought of driving him to soccer, piano lessons, gymnastics, tae kwon do, KidzArt, swim team, T-ball, so on, and so forth. Not to say that I don't recognize the value of these activities, but I witness firsthand the toll a full schedule takes on little ones. On Monday nights Jack and his cousin participate in Young Champions of America Karate, which is more about learning discipline, respect, and self defense than it is about martial arts. Recently we've picked up a new activity, which is also about learning discipline, respect, and creativity: Tucson Lego Club. He was invited to join by Nathan and Lucas, friends from church who also attended the preschool a few years ahead of Jack. Here he sits between them, at a table surrounded by 6 other boys, each of them building a lavish Lego creation. Members spend an hour building and fraternizing, sometimes more fraternizing than building, but at the end of the