Skip to main content

hello, Dolly...well, hello, Dolly


Two weeks ago I went to PetSmart for some fish...


...and came home with Dolly.

Yeah, I been sittin' on this news for a while, because I worried that it was too soon, and I worried she wouldn't fit in, and I just worried.

But I fell for her. Hard. She's two years old. Sweet and shy. She spends most of her time behind the washer or under the bed, though in the quiet hours of the morning she comes into the family room with me and Kismet and Cassie. Dolly and Kismet would be getting along fine, I think, if it weren't for Cassie the Fun Police. When they get close Dolly and Kismet get to caterwauling and that's too much for Cassie to take, so she commences to freak out. Dolly's cautious and taking it slow, and we're doing our best to give her the room she needs.

She's small and soft and whiskery, with a squeekier meow than any cat I've had before. She came to the Humane Society from her previous owners, and we kept the name Dolly because it's so versatile. Officially she's Mrs. Dolly Whitaker-Blackmore, but mostly we call her Dollarton.

Comments

Momma_Dee said…
AAAAwwwwwwwww! If Dollarton is the only name you ever have for her, it will be an oddity in this family. She's really pretty and I'm sure she will fit in. And she comes with her own song.
Anita said…
Oh, she's so pretty! She looks a lot like my Earl. (I have a thing for tuxedo cats.) Good for you!
auntie m said…
Hello Dolly...it's so nice to have you back where you belong. I met Jay's kitties Tess and Brody yesterday and I just couldn't keep my hands off these two tiny baby dolls.

Popular posts from this blog

wotd: temporize

temporize \TEM-puh-ryz\, intransitive verb:
1. To be indecisive or evasive in order to gain time or delay action.
2. To comply with the time or occasion; to yield to prevailing opinion or circumstances.
3. To engage in discussions or negotiations so as to gain time (usually followed by 'with').
4. To come to terms (usually followed by 'with').

It's easy to tell yourself that you'll write a daily blog entry using the word of the day from dictionary(dot)com as a prompt, and equally easy to temporize your daily entry by waffling over what to write about, or evading your obligation by procrastination. There. Bedtime.

my favorite

Sometimes I dream of operating a food truck specializing in gourmet wok-popped popcorn.

40 observations on the eve before my 40th birthday

Indulge me! In no particular order:

1. I love making pinatas. I've made a pinata for Jack's birthday for the last five years. The Death Star, a jellyfish from Spongebob, Patrick Star from Spongebob, Plankton from Spongebob, and just this year King Pig from Angry Birds. I've been commissioned by a friend to produce another Angry Birds Pig pinata for her son's birthday. I'm gonna do it.

2. Right now three of my ten fingers hurt when I type. I don't bite my nails (unless one is already broken) but I do pick and pull at my cuticles. I've developed acute paronychia, a bacterial infection, at those three finger tips. The one that hurts the most is my right thumb. Space bar hell. I've done this to myself since childhood. When I'm pulling and nipping at a hangnail, I know it's going to hurt but I go ahead and do it anyway.

3. I consider myself substantial: in body and in mind. I am robust. I have zeal. I just don't have any confidence.

4. My brain stop…