Skip to main content

wotd: didactic

didactic \dy-DAK-tik; duh-\, adjective;
1.Fitted or intended to teach; conveying instruction; instructive; teaching some moral lesson; as, "didactic essays."
2.Inclined to teach or moralize excessively; moralistic.


Anthony (never Tony) had one didactic dad. William (never Bill) could kill any fun with a lecture. "Lookit my bubble, Daddy!" Anthony would exclaim, and William would say, "You know Anthony, bubbles are shaped by an equilibrium between their outward air pressure and the inward surface tension of the soap film." Anthony would say, "Please push me on the swing, Daddy," and William would, all the while yammering, "At an earlier time, swinging was understood as a parametric oscillator, but when scrutinized more closely, the action required to pump a swing is really a driven oscillator, most notable when the swinger is at the lowest point of the arc of the swing. Action occurs at the lowest point in paramatric oscillation, but as I'm watching you I see you glide through the lowest point of the arc, a trademark of driven oscillation."

Anthony was a smart kid. He knew all his letters and numbers and how to spell his name before he was three years old. Anthony was also socially inept. None of the other kids would play with him. At naptime he thrashed around for the first hour and a half and slept fitfully for the last half hour. And I'll tell you this: at the end of the school year, when Anthony moved on and we were deep-cleaning the nap room, we found the baseboard where he thrashed and slept smeared with boogers for a full 8 inches.

Comments

auntie m said…
was Anthony a real kid?
shy_smiley said…
yeah, but one without much of a childhood

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

in which I get knocked down

Sickness saps my energy, both physical and mental. It's surprising, really, how seldom I get sick, since I work in a petri dish. When I do get sick it lays me low and happenings that I might normally take in stride just completely knock me down. Last week I was diagnosed with an embarrassing viral infection, the symptoms of which on their own couldn't possibly have dragged me this deep down: sores in my mouth and throat that blistered and peeled and made every mouthful feel and taste like shredded pennies; an itchy rash around my mouth and nose and on my chest. Compounding that: knees that felt packed in hot wax, the backs of my eyeballs aflame. No fever, so no H1N1. Negative strep. Malaise. But I soldiered (martyred?) through most of the week at work, because I could, and some of the other teachers had to stay at home with their diverticulitis and kidney stones. On Thursday night my laptop died. On Friday night I felt I could deal with my weekend obligations. DH went out of t...