Skip to main content

wotd: disport

disport \dis-PORT\, intransitive verb:
1. To amuse oneself in light or lively manner; to frolic.
transitive verb:
1. To divert or amuse.
2. To display.
The weekend began after a 9-hour preschool workday with a drive to a campus town pho restaurant called Miss Saigon, where I was maybe? meeting with a friend for dinner. Communication breakdown: no friend to meet me there, but I did run into acquaintances I hadn't seen in some time so it was nice to catch up with them.


Saturday morning I treated my best friend Ana to breakfast for her birthday at my favorite Tucson restaurant, Son's Bakery Cafe. Ana had chicken curry and I had pho; Son treated us to an egg roll apiece and a chocolate mountain for dessert. Delicious. Afterwards Ana indulged my thrifty side and spent an hour shopping the dollar racks at St. Vinnie's. That's where I got the giant blue bathrobe pictured in my previous entry.


After indulging me, I indulged Ana by going with her for a manicure. I've had my nails done once before in my life. I felt very self-conscious but with Ana at my side I thoroughly enjoyed myself.


We rounded out the morning with a trip to Frost. We scraped our cups clean. Mine: Alpencaramel; Ana's: chocolate hazelnut.


At home I had but an hour or two before a discernment committee meeting at church. Dolly submitted to a photo session. She looks so pretty on the grey and red IKEA bedding.


I left the discernment meeting early to participate in my preschool's Family Luau, our most important fundraiser of the year. The kids performed songs we learned together, we ate a delicious Polynesian meal, the classes auctioned off various art projects, and parents bid on donations in a separate silent auction. We packed a lot of activity into 4 hours. After that I was beat.

I was so beat, in fact, that I abandoned my schedule for today. I slept in; I didn't do the scheduled arms and abs workouts; I didn't go for a walk. Before church I watched Tropic Thunder and giggled my fool head off. After church I knitted, read my book, and hung out with sister Mandy and family. I didn't intend to disport myself in that manner today, but I guess I needed it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

wotd: temporize

temporize \TEM-puh-ryz\, intransitive verb:
1. To be indecisive or evasive in order to gain time or delay action.
2. To comply with the time or occasion; to yield to prevailing opinion or circumstances.
3. To engage in discussions or negotiations so as to gain time (usually followed by 'with').
4. To come to terms (usually followed by 'with').

It's easy to tell yourself that you'll write a daily blog entry using the word of the day from dictionary(dot)com as a prompt, and equally easy to temporize your daily entry by waffling over what to write about, or evading your obligation by procrastination. There. Bedtime.

my favorite

Sometimes I dream of operating a food truck specializing in gourmet wok-popped popcorn.

40 observations on the eve before my 40th birthday

Indulge me! In no particular order:

1. I love making pinatas. I've made a pinata for Jack's birthday for the last five years. The Death Star, a jellyfish from Spongebob, Patrick Star from Spongebob, Plankton from Spongebob, and just this year King Pig from Angry Birds. I've been commissioned by a friend to produce another Angry Birds Pig pinata for her son's birthday. I'm gonna do it.

2. Right now three of my ten fingers hurt when I type. I don't bite my nails (unless one is already broken) but I do pick and pull at my cuticles. I've developed acute paronychia, a bacterial infection, at those three finger tips. The one that hurts the most is my right thumb. Space bar hell. I've done this to myself since childhood. When I'm pulling and nipping at a hangnail, I know it's going to hurt but I go ahead and do it anyway.

3. I consider myself substantial: in body and in mind. I am robust. I have zeal. I just don't have any confidence.

4. My brain stop…