Skip to main content

summertime rolls

Fell into
A sea of grass
And disappeared among
The shady
blades...
Children all
Ran over me
Screaming tag!
You are the one!
---Jane's Addiction

There's just 2-1/2 more weeks and I'm back to work at the preschool. All summer long I've watched kids at my house, usually 10 hour days, and I'm about exhausted. Truth is, though, it's not hard work physically. They do most of it themselves. I just provide a place for them to play, sacrificing my house and my sanity. Sometimes I mediate disputes but often I just listen as they work it out themselves. My house is cleaner than usual because I vacuum and clean the bathrooms every day after they leave. But really, I have a lot of time to work on projects, like this one:


T-shirt skirt fashioned from three extra large t-shirts cut in trapezoids sewn together to a waistband with a drawstring.


A few things I don't like about it: I cut it too big but I tend to wear my clothes roomier anyway, and where 4 seams come together on the hips it's a little poofier than I'd like. But I've got a large stash of T-shirts with which to try again. Since it took me only an afternoon to make it I think I'll have time to make another (two or three) before the summer's over.


My biggest helper and I are also attempting a lemon meringue pie completely from scratch, for me to take to book group tonight. We're meeting to discuss The Toss of a Lemon by Padma Vishwanathan. I tried to come up with something Indian that I could make, but the ingredients were all exotic and I don't have time (or energy) to hustle my bustle out to LeeLee's Supermart. So I've defrosted the last of the lemon juice from our tree, and Kerry and I mixed together a pie crust this morning that we have yet to roll out, bake, and fill. But I've got all day while the kids play.

Comments

auntie m said…
The skirt is cute, Beck. Let us know how your ladies liked the pie.
Momma_Dee said…
You're doing a good job, I'm very proud of you! Or in words of a dear friend of ours, "I'm poud"

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

ouch

This whole body image thing is so artificial. The skinny body the media promotes is impossible to attain without constant food monitoring and constant exercising. Exercise, as we know it, is completely artificial. Forty minutes of cardio, 20 minutes of toning, 20 minutes resistance training, target different muscle groups on alternating days. The right shoes, the equipment, the energy bars, the electrolyte replenisher. I want life to provide our bodies' exercise needs. You walk because you have to get from Point A to Point B. You tone your core muscles while carrying with you the things you'll need when you get there. Your job requires you to use your body and not just your brain. That's not what life is like. When your body faces what should be an everyday challenge, it's often unable to respond. Last night I picked up a giant load of books and other stuff from a freecycler in a second-story apartment. I carried 3 50+ pound boxes of books down 20 stairs, then helped ca...