Skip to main content

as if it weren't enough

As if foreclosure, bankruptcy, and divorce weren't enough, I'm considering a new job. I've had a few promising interviews (OK, two interviews total, but both were promising). The interviews have shown me that I do have something to offer to a potential employer, and that any employer would benefit from hiring me (or keeping me).

I've again turned to the library for help. I chose a book called 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller. When I picked it up I didn't know I was choosing a book with a decidedly spiritual bent. Reading it in conjunction with The Shack by William P. Young is really rocking my devotional world. The Introduction ends with this little contract:
Believing that God created me for His purposes and scheduled every day of my life, I commit the next 48 days to a new clarity and a plan of action for moving into God's calling for me.

Miller's observations on success provide a useful way to compare and contrast my experiences with DH's:
Each area of our lives requires us to make deposits of success. Tiny withdrawals with no deposits will lead to physical, spiritual, and emotional bankruptcy in relationships, jobs, and finances.

I invested time and energy in family, hobbies, exercise, reading, and friends. I maintained a positive cash flow, even when there wasn't a position for me last summer at the preschool. DH invested time and energy in work and family. His efforts resulted more often than not in the "tiny withdrawals" Miller talks about. I banked my efforts and now that I'm facing bankruptcy and divorce I can cope. I have friends. I have interests. I've cashed in on my investment, and it's helping me cope with crisis.
Success is not a future event---it is the "progressive realization of worthwhile goals." Thus, either you are successful today or you are not.

I am successful today.

Hallelujah. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

wotd: temporize

temporize \TEM-puh-ryz\, intransitive verb:
1. To be indecisive or evasive in order to gain time or delay action.
2. To comply with the time or occasion; to yield to prevailing opinion or circumstances.
3. To engage in discussions or negotiations so as to gain time (usually followed by 'with').
4. To come to terms (usually followed by 'with').

It's easy to tell yourself that you'll write a daily blog entry using the word of the day from dictionary(dot)com as a prompt, and equally easy to temporize your daily entry by waffling over what to write about, or evading your obligation by procrastination. There. Bedtime.

my favorite

Sometimes I dream of operating a food truck specializing in gourmet wok-popped popcorn.

40 observations on the eve before my 40th birthday

Indulge me! In no particular order:

1. I love making pinatas. I've made a pinata for Jack's birthday for the last five years. The Death Star, a jellyfish from Spongebob, Patrick Star from Spongebob, Plankton from Spongebob, and just this year King Pig from Angry Birds. I've been commissioned by a friend to produce another Angry Birds Pig pinata for her son's birthday. I'm gonna do it.

2. Right now three of my ten fingers hurt when I type. I don't bite my nails (unless one is already broken) but I do pick and pull at my cuticles. I've developed acute paronychia, a bacterial infection, at those three finger tips. The one that hurts the most is my right thumb. Space bar hell. I've done this to myself since childhood. When I'm pulling and nipping at a hangnail, I know it's going to hurt but I go ahead and do it anyway.

3. I consider myself substantial: in body and in mind. I am robust. I have zeal. I just don't have any confidence.

4. My brain stop…