Skip to main content

repetitive


Why do I tend to repeat myself in conversation? I'm aware that I do it, but seem powerless to stop it. Example:

"Did you go to the talent show at Jack's school?"

"No."

"Well, you know Avril? She was in charge. She says it's getting so weird there."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Well, you know that transvestite who volunteers there?"

"Yeah! Every time I go to St. Vinnie's on Dollar Clothing Saturday, she's there shopping with her girlfriend."

"I guess she always looks fabulous. Is she really obvious?"

"Oh, yeah. Obviously a man in women's clothes. I see her every time I go to St. Vinnie's on Dollar Clothing Saturday."

"Well, Avril's backstage getting the numbers ready for the talent show. She's got the Dance Force One girl going on next. That little fourth grader was dressed like a pole dancer! Then the transvestite's getting ready to go on, and he... she... well, the transvestite is doing all these intense stretching and warm up exercises, and Avril's just beside herself. What's she supposed to do with the pole dancer and the transvestite?"

"I see her every time I go to St. Vinnie's on Dollar Clothing Saturday."

In retrospect, I suppose that's the best I had to offer to the conversation.

Comments

auntie m said…
I tend to do this same thing and I am also completely aware but I have no excuse as I never have conversations half so interesting as this. Or do I?

Popular posts from this blog

wotd: temporize

temporize \TEM-puh-ryz\, intransitive verb:
1. To be indecisive or evasive in order to gain time or delay action.
2. To comply with the time or occasion; to yield to prevailing opinion or circumstances.
3. To engage in discussions or negotiations so as to gain time (usually followed by 'with').
4. To come to terms (usually followed by 'with').

It's easy to tell yourself that you'll write a daily blog entry using the word of the day from dictionary(dot)com as a prompt, and equally easy to temporize your daily entry by waffling over what to write about, or evading your obligation by procrastination. There. Bedtime.

my favorite

Sometimes I dream of operating a food truck specializing in gourmet wok-popped popcorn.

40 observations on the eve before my 40th birthday

Indulge me! In no particular order:

1. I love making pinatas. I've made a pinata for Jack's birthday for the last five years. The Death Star, a jellyfish from Spongebob, Patrick Star from Spongebob, Plankton from Spongebob, and just this year King Pig from Angry Birds. I've been commissioned by a friend to produce another Angry Birds Pig pinata for her son's birthday. I'm gonna do it.

2. Right now three of my ten fingers hurt when I type. I don't bite my nails (unless one is already broken) but I do pick and pull at my cuticles. I've developed acute paronychia, a bacterial infection, at those three finger tips. The one that hurts the most is my right thumb. Space bar hell. I've done this to myself since childhood. When I'm pulling and nipping at a hangnail, I know it's going to hurt but I go ahead and do it anyway.

3. I consider myself substantial: in body and in mind. I am robust. I have zeal. I just don't have any confidence.

4. My brain stop…