Skip to main content

48 Days to the Work You Love: Chapter 4 Questions


Chapter 4: Wheels, Goals, and Clear Action

1. Are you a goal setter? Do you typically set goals at the first of the year? If not, why not? I rarely set goals for fear of falling short of them. Miller contends, "Considerable evidence indicates that expectations of your future do, in fact, tend to create your future." and also "Keep in mind that only about 8 percent of the general population can identify clear goals and only about 3 percent ever actually write those down." You are the Master Gardener of Your Soul: "Control your own destiny by controlling what goes into your mind. The books you read, the thoughts you think, the television you watch, the conversations you participate in, the people you associate with, and the music you listen to combine to create your future. Are you sowing the seeds for the life you want 5 years from now?" I think I am, but it's damned hard work.
Where Are You Now? – Personal Checkup
  1. Am I missing anything in my life right now that’s important to me? _X_ YES __ NO
  2. I know what I am passionate about. __ YES _X_ NO
  3. I am well organized, know how to focus on my top priorities and get
    a lot done every day. _X_ YES __ NO
  4. I have a written, strategic plan for my work and personal life with time lines and quantifiable measurements. __ YES _X_ NO
  5. I have ample time for my family, social relationships and feel good about the
    balance I have achieved. __ YES _X_ NO
  6. I spend time 4-5 times a week exercising to restore myself physically. _X_ YES __ NO
    7. I am regularly achieving my income goals. __ YES _X_ NO
    8. My life reflects my spiritual values and I am growing, maturing, and gaining
    wisdom in this area. _X_ YES __ NO
    9. I have studied and developed the new, creative ideas I have had this last year.
    _X_ YES __ NO
    10. I believe I am fulfilling my Mission in life. __ YES _X_ NO
2. How would you describe your current focus on work? distracted and seeking. I'm dissatisfied with my current position because I have trouble communicating effectively with my boss and I feel my current preschool's pursuance of NAEYC accreditation and Quality First endorsement is at cross purposes with what's good for the kids. I feel the foothills parents' desires for their children are turning their kids to precociousness without foundation. I'm suffering burnout and wondering if my lateral move to a different preschool is the cure I need or an empty panacea.

3. What hobbies do you have? What other skills and interests do you have?
  • reading
  • knitting
  • crocheting
  • writing
  • bottle cap crafting
  • collage
  • singing
  • walking
  • jogging
  • sewing
  • blogging
  • photography
  • thrifting
Really, this list could be endless.

4. How are you involved in your community? My only real community involvement is church and that's faltering because the preschool at which I enjoy my unsatisfactory employment is an outreach ministry of my church. My church is accustomed to seeing me as a package deal: preschool teacher, Dave's wife, Jack's mom.

5. What was your father’s or mother’s attitude toward work and how has that affected you?Dad has always been extremely dedicated to work and to him I attribute what I fondly refer to as My Protestant Work Ethic. I want to do a good job. I want to be recognized for doing a good job (that's not really part of the Protestant Work Ethic, is it?). Dad loved his job flying for Southwest Airlines. Mom stayed home with me and Mandy until we were older, when she went to work as a nurse. I think Mom felt fulfilled by that work but I remember her grudging the hours (graveyard shift) and the drive (11 miles to the hospital in Lincoln) and sometimes her coworker. I'd be interested in hearing your comments, Mom. I don't really know how you felt about work, except it seemed to me at the time that you'd really rather not go.

This is a meaty chapter that goes in to more depth about Seven Areas of Achievement. I might have to revisit it, but right now I'm willing to see how it plays out in the rest of the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

memory

wedding gift

On Saturday Dave's cousin Traci is getting married. At the last minute we decided to fly to Ames for the wedding and to see everyone who will be in attendance there. At the last minute, I decided to crochet a throw as a wedding gift. I just finished. The colors in this first picture are true; the other two pictures were taken with flash so the colors look brighter than they really are. I started last Monday night with 7 skeins of Lion Brand Chenille Thick and Quick in Periwinkle. It's 72 single crochet in the back loop only for as many rows as you want. Then single crochet around in a contrasting color. I chose Wine. I bought the yarn at Big Lots for half the retail price. It's long and skinny but very texturally appealing. Though all skeins were of the same dye lot, you can see that the top and bottom skein are definitely different, not so much in color as in texture. It's pure dumb luck that they ended up at the top and bottom. It's not perfect, but neither is mar
Jack doesn't have many "activities." I don't relish the thought of driving him to soccer, piano lessons, gymnastics, tae kwon do, KidzArt, swim team, T-ball, so on, and so forth. Not to say that I don't recognize the value of these activities, but I witness firsthand the toll a full schedule takes on little ones. On Monday nights Jack and his cousin participate in Young Champions of America Karate, which is more about learning discipline, respect, and self defense than it is about martial arts. Recently we've picked up a new activity, which is also about learning discipline, respect, and creativity: Tucson Lego Club. He was invited to join by Nathan and Lucas, friends from church who also attended the preschool a few years ahead of Jack. Here he sits between them, at a table surrounded by 6 other boys, each of them building a lavish Lego creation. Members spend an hour building and fraternizing, sometimes more fraternizing than building, but at the end of the