Skip to main content

48 Days to the Work You Love: Chapter 7 Questions


Chapter 7: Finding Your Unique Path

1. Are some job markets more secure than others? "Keep in mind the transition we have had from 'production work' to 'knowledge work'." I'm glad Miller put this into words. Sometimes it seems to me it would be so much easier to go to work on a factory line, put in your 8 hours a day, and go home. I go to work at the preschool, put in my 6.5 hours, go home, and think about the preschool while I'm home. I lesson plan; I screen story books; I brainstorm ways to help one kid enter into play while simultaneously brainstorming ways to redirect another child's too-active play. My job is emotionally exhausting. Miller writes, "[As a knowledge worker] your tools of the trade are largely between your two ears." As an early childhood educator, my tools are also in my heart. Miller goes on: "Thus your skills are much more transferable than those of production workers." My skills transferable? I'll have to think on that one some more. None of this goes to answer the question, however. Are some job markets more secure than others? At this time in our economic history, I don't think any job market is secure. There.

2. What are the best places to look for new opportunities in today’s workplace? Well, I got my new job by applying to an ad on Craigslist, but Miller claims that "Fewer than 1 percent of job seekers actually get a position from responding to an Internet ad." Other ways to not get a position include answering an ad in the paper, using a headhunter, and answering an ad in a trade journal. I'm applying for a second job at Bookman's. I marched in there one day with my peeps and asked at the trade desk who's responsible for hiring. The nice clerk gave me an application and told me to have fun with my cover letter. I'll show you when I'm done.

3. What are the biggest mistakes you’ve made in the past in looking for new positions? Not looking. Staying too long in a position that long ago lost its appeal and utility.

4. How do you feel about “promoting” yourself? Very hard for me to do. We're not supposed to toot our own horns. Identifying strengths feels like bragging. I'm far more comfortable enumerating my weaknesses. Miller says finding a new position is basically a sales job and the product is yourself. And he recommends making phone calls. I hate making phone calls.

5. How do you know when to change jobs or careers? When the oppression at the current position becomes simply too much to bear, and the desire to drive my car into a tree is stronger than my desire to drive my car to work.

6. How should we apply the principles found in Colossians 3:23–24 as workers in this day and time? "(23) Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, (24) since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." I believe that the Lord Christ dwells within me, so the satisfaction I receive from working with all my heart at whatever I do serves my self and my Lord. Trouble is, I'm no longer working with all my heart when I'm at the preschool, and I use my current personal transitions as an excuse. My God-given abilities are taking backseat to the real-life tribulations I'm experiencing. I wonder how subtle a shift in thinking (feeling?) is required to bring my heart back to my work. To bring my heart back to anything, for that matter.

*sigh*

Comments

auntie m said…
I read your posts and identify with them more than you could ever know. Sometimes I feel like I wrote them if I was a good writer and could write like you.

Popular posts from this blog

memory

wedding gift

On Saturday Dave's cousin Traci is getting married. At the last minute we decided to fly to Ames for the wedding and to see everyone who will be in attendance there. At the last minute, I decided to crochet a throw as a wedding gift. I just finished. The colors in this first picture are true; the other two pictures were taken with flash so the colors look brighter than they really are. I started last Monday night with 7 skeins of Lion Brand Chenille Thick and Quick in Periwinkle. It's 72 single crochet in the back loop only for as many rows as you want. Then single crochet around in a contrasting color. I chose Wine. I bought the yarn at Big Lots for half the retail price. It's long and skinny but very texturally appealing. Though all skeins were of the same dye lot, you can see that the top and bottom skein are definitely different, not so much in color as in texture. It's pure dumb luck that they ended up at the top and bottom. It's not perfect, but neither is mar
Jack doesn't have many "activities." I don't relish the thought of driving him to soccer, piano lessons, gymnastics, tae kwon do, KidzArt, swim team, T-ball, so on, and so forth. Not to say that I don't recognize the value of these activities, but I witness firsthand the toll a full schedule takes on little ones. On Monday nights Jack and his cousin participate in Young Champions of America Karate, which is more about learning discipline, respect, and self defense than it is about martial arts. Recently we've picked up a new activity, which is also about learning discipline, respect, and creativity: Tucson Lego Club. He was invited to join by Nathan and Lucas, friends from church who also attended the preschool a few years ahead of Jack. Here he sits between them, at a table surrounded by 6 other boys, each of them building a lavish Lego creation. Members spend an hour building and fraternizing, sometimes more fraternizing than building, but at the end of the