Skip to main content

five minute free write friday


write about a task, job, or chore you dislike

I hate emptying the dishwasher. There's something about that used water that feels dirty, though I use the dishwasher to sanitize the dishes. I don't like talking on the phone to anyone. That's not considered a chore sometimes but to me it is. Calling the insurance company, the doctor's office, even a close friend is something I dislike doing. There's that strange otherworldly space between your phone and mine. My words get lost and I don't have the advantage of thinking about them like I do when I get to write them down.

I dislike lesson planning. i'm a big advocate of free play, believing that children learn best when they set their own goals and explore their own interests.

I dislike washing the car. I'd rather pay someone else to do it, but then I'm dissatisfied with the way it's done.

I dislike making the bed. I've given that up completely, actually. Used to be I couldn't sleep in a bed that hadn't been made, but nowadays I don't even care if the bed has sheets on it. I do care, however, if my feet feel clean. I've been known to arise from near sleep to wash my feet in the sink.

A task, a chore, a job I dislike. It becomes more difficult to pinpoint. It's petty, isn't it? This bemoaning such a little thing like emptying the dishwasher or making a phone call or washing the car. what to do ? How to turn it positive? Jack's old enough to empty the dishwasher, and he doesn't mind doing it (overmuch, anyway). Much of my communication I can do through email rather than over the phone. Loosen up about the way the car is washed. Stop making the bed. Wash my feet. It's all small stuff. And I'm tired. Goo dnight.

Comments

auntie m said…
I feel exactly the same way about phone calls and dirty feet.

Popular posts from this blog

memory

wedding gift

On Saturday Dave's cousin Traci is getting married. At the last minute we decided to fly to Ames for the wedding and to see everyone who will be in attendance there. At the last minute, I decided to crochet a throw as a wedding gift. I just finished. The colors in this first picture are true; the other two pictures were taken with flash so the colors look brighter than they really are. I started last Monday night with 7 skeins of Lion Brand Chenille Thick and Quick in Periwinkle. It's 72 single crochet in the back loop only for as many rows as you want. Then single crochet around in a contrasting color. I chose Wine. I bought the yarn at Big Lots for half the retail price. It's long and skinny but very texturally appealing. Though all skeins were of the same dye lot, you can see that the top and bottom skein are definitely different, not so much in color as in texture. It's pure dumb luck that they ended up at the top and bottom. It's not perfect, but neither is mar
Jack doesn't have many "activities." I don't relish the thought of driving him to soccer, piano lessons, gymnastics, tae kwon do, KidzArt, swim team, T-ball, so on, and so forth. Not to say that I don't recognize the value of these activities, but I witness firsthand the toll a full schedule takes on little ones. On Monday nights Jack and his cousin participate in Young Champions of America Karate, which is more about learning discipline, respect, and self defense than it is about martial arts. Recently we've picked up a new activity, which is also about learning discipline, respect, and creativity: Tucson Lego Club. He was invited to join by Nathan and Lucas, friends from church who also attended the preschool a few years ahead of Jack. Here he sits between them, at a table surrounded by 6 other boys, each of them building a lavish Lego creation. Members spend an hour building and fraternizing, sometimes more fraternizing than building, but at the end of the