Skip to main content

five minute free write friday


write about a task, job, or chore you dislike

I hate emptying the dishwasher. There's something about that used water that feels dirty, though I use the dishwasher to sanitize the dishes. I don't like talking on the phone to anyone. That's not considered a chore sometimes but to me it is. Calling the insurance company, the doctor's office, even a close friend is something I dislike doing. There's that strange otherworldly space between your phone and mine. My words get lost and I don't have the advantage of thinking about them like I do when I get to write them down.

I dislike lesson planning. i'm a big advocate of free play, believing that children learn best when they set their own goals and explore their own interests.

I dislike washing the car. I'd rather pay someone else to do it, but then I'm dissatisfied with the way it's done.

I dislike making the bed. I've given that up completely, actually. Used to be I couldn't sleep in a bed that hadn't been made, but nowadays I don't even care if the bed has sheets on it. I do care, however, if my feet feel clean. I've been known to arise from near sleep to wash my feet in the sink.

A task, a chore, a job I dislike. It becomes more difficult to pinpoint. It's petty, isn't it? This bemoaning such a little thing like emptying the dishwasher or making a phone call or washing the car. what to do ? How to turn it positive? Jack's old enough to empty the dishwasher, and he doesn't mind doing it (overmuch, anyway). Much of my communication I can do through email rather than over the phone. Loosen up about the way the car is washed. Stop making the bed. Wash my feet. It's all small stuff. And I'm tired. Goo dnight.

Comments

auntie m said…
I feel exactly the same way about phone calls and dirty feet.

Popular posts from this blog

wotd: temporize

temporize \TEM-puh-ryz\, intransitive verb:
1. To be indecisive or evasive in order to gain time or delay action.
2. To comply with the time or occasion; to yield to prevailing opinion or circumstances.
3. To engage in discussions or negotiations so as to gain time (usually followed by 'with').
4. To come to terms (usually followed by 'with').

It's easy to tell yourself that you'll write a daily blog entry using the word of the day from dictionary(dot)com as a prompt, and equally easy to temporize your daily entry by waffling over what to write about, or evading your obligation by procrastination. There. Bedtime.

my favorite

Sometimes I dream of operating a food truck specializing in gourmet wok-popped popcorn.

40 observations on the eve before my 40th birthday

Indulge me! In no particular order:

1. I love making pinatas. I've made a pinata for Jack's birthday for the last five years. The Death Star, a jellyfish from Spongebob, Patrick Star from Spongebob, Plankton from Spongebob, and just this year King Pig from Angry Birds. I've been commissioned by a friend to produce another Angry Birds Pig pinata for her son's birthday. I'm gonna do it.

2. Right now three of my ten fingers hurt when I type. I don't bite my nails (unless one is already broken) but I do pick and pull at my cuticles. I've developed acute paronychia, a bacterial infection, at those three finger tips. The one that hurts the most is my right thumb. Space bar hell. I've done this to myself since childhood. When I'm pulling and nipping at a hangnail, I know it's going to hurt but I go ahead and do it anyway.

3. I consider myself substantial: in body and in mind. I am robust. I have zeal. I just don't have any confidence.

4. My brain stop…