Skip to main content

I want to know (2)

How do you get your news? Not from these bozos, I hope.





I admit, I'm woefully uninformed about happenings in the world, the nation, the state, even my city. I know what's going on at my workplace, but I could have an even broader understanding if I would take the time to learn about state and federal educational policy (even though I work at a private, priveleged preschool, and even though I'm scared to learn about educational policy because I think I might become outraged).

As part of my "awareness" resolution this year, I'm trying to find ways to know more about the world. I'm starting to watch the news, which I've never done before, because one of the evening news anchors is a mom in my class and it's kind of a kick to see her on TV. But I find the local network news to be really superficial and somewhat sensationalist.

So what do you do? Read Time? US News & World Report? The newspaper?

These past few mornings, the first of 2008, I've been sitting at the computer desk listening to NPR online as I knit a couple of rows on the current project. I know there's political turmoil in Kenya and Pakistan; I know Iran and Korea are working on nukes. I already know more this year than I did last year. Still, I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to get informed.

Comments

I'm embarrassed to say that my own kid is in Iraq and I'm still a complete political ignoramus. I'm amazed at how people can manage to have a grip on politics at home and around the world: how much reading and tv watching must they do to carry on certain conversations?

I listen to NPR too, and download the shows I miss to my iPod. It makes me want to get a big 'ol world map for my wall.

I love Time magazine, subscribed for awhile, but it's expensive, and I fell out of the habit. I miss it, actually. I miss reading the local paper, but every time I subscribe, I end up tossing days on end that I never had time to open.
Ana said…
This is why we don't know where to get our news...
What We Call the News
Ugh.
~A

Popular posts from this blog

memory

expanding my culinary horizons

After last night's culinary debacle, today's culinary surprise was particularly welcome. My dear friend Rukmi brought me lunch! Rukmi is Sri Lankan. She cooks the best food. I ate a fish and egg croquette, lentil curry, saffron rice, all with delicious chicken and what I thought might be tuna. I asked Rukmi what the meat was, and she told me it's all chicken. "The flat, triangular meat? With the spices? Is it tuna?" She laughed lightly. "That's a wegetable," she said, in her lovely Sinhalese way. "Oh, yeah? Like a beet?" That made sense, because it flaked like tuna steak or like beets might. "It is jackfruit." Jackfruit? Jackfruit! I ate jackfruit today. Rukmi told me all about it: she used canned young jackfruit she bought at G & L Market on 22nd St.; fully grown jackfruits are gigantic and if one fell on your head it could kill you. When fully ripe, jackfruit is full of big pods that each have a seed in the middle, like a p...

ouch

This whole body image thing is so artificial. The skinny body the media promotes is impossible to attain without constant food monitoring and constant exercising. Exercise, as we know it, is completely artificial. Forty minutes of cardio, 20 minutes of toning, 20 minutes resistance training, target different muscle groups on alternating days. The right shoes, the equipment, the energy bars, the electrolyte replenisher. I want life to provide our bodies' exercise needs. You walk because you have to get from Point A to Point B. You tone your core muscles while carrying with you the things you'll need when you get there. Your job requires you to use your body and not just your brain. That's not what life is like. When your body faces what should be an everyday challenge, it's often unable to respond. Last night I picked up a giant load of books and other stuff from a freecycler in a second-story apartment. I carried 3 50+ pound boxes of books down 20 stairs, then helped ca...